Mere's So-Called Life

A personal diary of a young-ish woman's real life non-adventures in suburban Northern Virginia.

Name:
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Midwestern Weekend - Part I: Friday

Oh hooray...This weekend I went "home" to Kansas City to see my sister, Meegan. Kansas City isn't my real home (I don't have one), but it's where my parents moved after I graduated from college and where my sister also moved after her own graduation. Alas, begrudgingly, I call KC "home" (quotes not optional). It was a jam-packed weekend with tons of activity.

Friday morning Steve graciously drove me to the airport at 7:00 for my 8:40 flight. I know I'm not very fun company when driving to the airport because I'm always worried I'm going to miss my flight, miss the baggage cut-off or some other random misfortune. The flight ended up being just fine except a little late. No big deal...Meegan couldn't pick me up right when I landed anyway because she had to be at work until 11:00.

After she picked me up in her gorgeous new car (new to her...It's an '02 accord coupe V6 and awesome), we drove to this area north of the airport called Weston which has quaint little shops, a couple small restaurants, a winery, and this bar called O'Malley's, which I'm told is quite the place. I think my sister and her friends might hang out there more if it weren't in the middle of absolutely no where. We had lunch at "The Vineyard" (across the street from the Winery, though there was no vineyard in site). The service there was ultra slow, but Meegan and I were really chatty, so we hardly noticed. She had a beef tenderloin (yum-o) and I had this salad with apples and bacon.

After lunch, we browsed through the shops on Main Street for a couple hours. I bought some Christmas gifts and Meegan got this antique hat that totally rocks. I could see Gwen Stefani wearing this hat. I have no idea when Meegan will ever wear it, but that is really not the point. The point is that the hat is fabulous.

After the shopping, we went to another shopping area closer to Meegan's house called Zona Rosa. Think Reston Towne Center only more stores you'd actually want to shop at and better restaurants. So, we went to DSW and I tried on pretty much every single pair of tall black boots they had and bought none of them. It has been so hard for me to find boots that are the right style (simple skinny heel, pointy toe), not made of plastic, and actually fit my big feet and calves. Plus there's the whole issue where my legs are long, so even a tall boot kind of looks like it's just calf-length. boo.

After DSW, we picked up Indian Food (Indian Food is becoming all the rage in KC...So says Meegan). Then we went back to Meegan's house to eat. Well, I walk into this place and it's freaking gorgeous. She has been painting the walls in good colors I would never think to use, her furniture is so cool and she bought this giant plasma TV over her marble fireplace. The decorating looks like it belongs in a magazine. Sheesh. Makes my place look like a total shack. Nevermind that mine is worth 3x hers. Ah, the Midwest. Gotta love affordable living.

So, we ate about half the Chicken Tikka Masala (we never order anything else), watched "Failure to Launch," wrapped Christmas gifts, set up her Christmas tree and decorated it. Around 11pm, we decided that we would run out to WalMart (open 24 hours) and pick up some ingredients for the cookies we were going to make. Meegan has the most giant WalMart I've ever seen and it's like 3 minutes from her house. Well, the WalMart is so big that we were there for over an hour. They sell liquor right in the store 24/7 (all together now: Ah, the midwest!). We got home and despite the fact that we should have just gone to bed, we quickly made up the dough for our cookies and put it in the fridge to chill.

By this time, it's after 1am and neither of us had much sleep the night before, so we finally went to bed. I am pretty sure I fell asleep before my head even hit the pillow.

Tomorrow: Santa comes AND Meredith persuades her sister's friend to snort tequila.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

You didn't actually use the term "Yum-O!" :) Love the post. Sounds like a perfect Friday to me.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home