Mere's So-Called Life

A personal diary of a young-ish woman's real life non-adventures in suburban Northern Virginia.

Name:
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Brand New Year!

Happy 2007...call me jaded (Jaded! Jaded! Mere's Jaded!!), but the concept a fresh start on January 1 is kind of lost on me. Things can change. I believe that. However, if you're only changing because of the day on the calendar, I don't really think that's a reason/motivator large enough to make the change stick. Maybe it is for some people, but for me, I need more. If my doctor said, "Jaded, if you don't lose 30 lbs in the next 6 months, you're going to die," then I would change. The question is figuring out what threat between January 1st and death is sufficient motivation to make a change real.

I think I've watched too many episodes of Oprah over my little Christmas vacation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I'm with you. I decided around Dec. 28 to not make any resolutions this year. Why is it that Jan. 1 comes around, and everyone decides then what they're going to do for the coming year (or waits until then to start). My new philosophy is to make resolutions when I feel they're necessary (like in July when I decided to lose 25 lbs), and not when the calendar dictates.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home